EXEMPTION FOR DEPLOYED SERVICEMEMBERS: Section 196.173, F.S.
Form DR-501M –Deployed Military Exemption Application
A servicemember who receives a homestead exemption may receive an additional ad valorem tax exemption on that homestead property if he/she was deployed during the preceding calendar year on active duty outside the continental United States, Alaska, or Hawaii in support of designated military operations. The Department of Revenue will notify the property appraisers of the designated military operations each year. Current List of Designated Operation Names.
The following documentation is required, along with the Form DR-501M –Deployed Military Exemption Application:
DEPLOYMENT ORDERS (NATO Orders cannot be used)
The most common two forms are listed below. However, other formats are acceptable (other than NATO orders). Please go ahead and submit them, along with the remaining documents needed.
- DD Form 1610 “Request and Authorization for TDY Travel of DOD Personnel” NOTE: Operation name MAY be listed on 2nd If so, be sure to provide BOTH pages of the 1610.
- “CED” Orders Please REDACT any other service members’ information that may be on the back page, if needed. Copy of front AND back pages of the CED orders will be needed. “DATA MASKED” CED orders are considered unclassified but they will not have the operation name listed.
VERIFICATION OF TRAVEL DATES & OPERATION NAME
- OKALOOSA COUNTY PROPERTY APPRAISER MEMO FOR RECORD (“OCPA MFR”)
Used to verify BOTH the travel dates AND the operation name. Available by request from our office or through our website by clicking here.
If you do not use the OCPA MFR, then you will be required to provide BOTH of the following documents:
- TRAVEL VOUCHER from DTS (CANNOT USE TRAVEL ITINERARIES OR Authorizations):
- DD Form 1351-2 – Must reflect exact arrival / departure flight dates & locations.
- Long form on DTS (no form #) – This format includes your daily per diem pay for the duration of your deployment and is usually several pages in length. If submitting this format, only the first 2 pages are needed.
- OPERATION VERIFICATION:
- MEMO FOR RECORD (“MFR”) – Must have deployment dates & operation name & must also be signed by either a commanding officer, UDM or other authorized military personnel. For your convenience, the OCPA MFR can be used and is available on our website or by request from our office.
- LETTER OF EVALUATION (“LOE”) – Must reflect operation name in box 6 or in “Comments” section.
- COMMENDATION MEDAL/CERTIFICATE – Must state operation name and include the dates for entire deployment; not just a portion of the days.